25 new ambassadors celebrate five years of the Angling Trust
The Angling Trust has marked its five year anniversary by appointing 25 new Ambassadors to help promote its work and to encourage more anglers to join its growing membership. They will join the 40 Ambassadors appointed in 2012.
I urge every serious angler to give them their support by becoming a member - David Seaman
Among the new appointees are some keen anglers who are also household names such as ex-England goalkeeper David Seaman (pictured), sports promoter Barry Hearn and recent Environment & Fisheries Minister Richard Benyon MP. Angling media stars Paul Young, Nigel Botherway and Gary Newman have also leant their support to the Trust, along with Team England Angling legend Tommy Pickering. A wide selection of specialist anglers who respectively fish mainly for salmon, carp, trout, roach, barbel, along with sea angler and journalist Barney Wright demonstrates that the Angling Trust is the single organisation that represents all forms of angling. Importantly, the Trust has also invited some younger Ambassadors this year, with You Tube sensations Carl & Alex Smith, along with Alex Jardine who joins his father Charles on the team.
Ian 'Chilly' Chillcott, founder of the English Carp Heritage Organisation, is also on board, as are Sarah Collins the Chief Executive of Get Hooked on Fishing and disabled angler Andy Beadsley, Director of the Wheelyboat Trust. The Angling Trust works very closely with Sarah, Andy and many other great organisations to increase access to angling for young people and those with disabilities and to promote the many personal and social benefits of going fishing.
Mark Lloyd, Chief Executive of the Angling Trust said: 'We are all very grateful to these new Ambassadors for agreeing to help the Trust continue to grow and develop and we are privileged to be supported by such high profile anglers. They reflect the immense diversity of the angling community, coming from all the many disciplines. We are delighted that Richard Benyon MP, who was the best Fisheries Minister anyone can remember, has agreed to support us and he has already helped us make anglers’ voices heard in the houses of parliament. We hope that the appointment of these Ambassadors will encourage more anglers to join us and support the work of the Angling Trust and Fish Legal. We have achieved a huge amount in the past 5 years, but we could achieve so much more in the next 5 years if we had another 10,000 members.'
Richard Benyon MP said: 'I have seen at first hand how effectively the Angling Trust lobbies on behalf of angling and the environment. It is a respected player in the corridors of power because its arguments are evidence-based and coherent. There has never been a more important time for a strong voice for anglers and the rivers, lakes and seas where they fish. It is an honour to be an Ambassador for the Trust.'
Barry Hearn Chairman of the renowned Matchroom Sport organisation said:'I’m delighted to be an Ambassador of the Angling Trust. Both as an angler myself as well as the promoter of Britain’s biggest match – Fish’O’Mania – it’s a sport that has given me great pleasure on many levels and continues to do so. I believe that fishing can be a powerful force for good and the cornerstone of that is a strong and active governing body. From televised match fishing down to Sunday afternoon pleasure angling, it is a sport for everyone, with very few barriers. That is why the Angling Trust has my whole-hearted support.'
David Seaman, ex-England and Arsenal goalkeeper said: 'Fishing is really important to me and I want to see it protected and promoted. I can see that the future of fishing is in safe hands with the Angling Trust fighting our corner and I urge every serious angler to give them their support by becoming a member.'
Barney Wright, sea angling journalist said: 'I am delighted to be asked to play part in the Angling Trust as an Ambassador. The message still needs to be broadcast to ALL anglers to join up and make our presence known with a unified voice. There’s much work to do, and I am going to do all I can to drive the sea side of the cause. A big voice heard in Brussels will carry enough weight to hopefully make a difference – but we must all play our part.'
Paul Young, actor, TV presenter and globe-trotting fly angler said: 'I am proud to support the Angling Trust’s campaigns, and the unique work of the lawyers at Fish Legal, to protect fish and fishing from a wide range of threats. It’s vital that anglers support their representative body by becoming a member for just £25 a year.'
Here's the full list of new ambassadors:
1. Richard Benyon MP - Ex-Fisheries Minister
2. David Seaman - England and Arsenal Goalkeeper
3. Barry Hearn - Chairman of Matchroom Sport, World Snooker Ltd and the Professional Darts Corporation.
4. Dr. Mark Everard - Author and specialist roach angler
5. Sarah Collins - CEO of Get Hooked on Fishing
6. Phil Smith - Specialist coarse angler and author
7. Nigel Botherway - Radio and TV presenter of angling shows
8. Pete Reading - Specialist Angler and Writer, Barbel Society Research and Conservation Officer
9. William Daniel - Founder of Famous Fishing
10. Ian 'Chilly' Chillcott - Legendary carp angler and founder of English Carp Heritage Organisation
11. Paul Young - Actor and TV presenter of angling programmes
12. Duncan Charman - Specialist angler, author and angling journalist
13. Peter Hayes - Author and expert trout angler
14. Paul Procter - International fly fishing journalist
15. Gary Newman - Angling Journalist
16. Andy Beadsley - Founder and Director of the Wheelyboat Trust
17. Alex Jardine - Team England Youth Fly Fisher
18. Chris Turnbull - Specialist Angler, angling artist and Illustrator
19. Barney Wright - Sea angling journalist
20. Rae Borras - Angling TV Presenter (The Compleat Angler and The Game Fisher's Diary etc.)
21. Tommy Pickering - World Champion Team England Angler
22. Emma Pickering - Team England Angler
23. Graeme Mabey - MD For Life Experiences
24. Carl and Alex Smith - Young video makers (Ambassadors 24 & 25)
The Angling Trust is recognised by the government as the single unified representative body for all game, coarse and sea angling in England. We fight for fish and fishing by working to improve and protect fish stocks, promoting the benefits of angling for all, standing up for the environment and supporting excellence in angling.
Find out all about the Angling Trust and its work at www.anglingtrust.net or call us on 01568 620447